MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Officials say woodstove caused fire that killed woman, 93

Firefighters were battling a three-alarm fire in Oxford Thursday, Dec. 14, 2017. (WCVB)

Fire officials say a malfunctioning woodstove caused a fire that killed a 93-year-old woman in her Massachusetts home last month.

The state fire marshal's office on Thursday released the cause of the Dec. 14 fire in Oxford that killed Josephine Mulvey.

First responders were called to the home at around 7:45 p.m. Efforts to contain the fire were complicated by a lack of fire hydrants in the rural area. Firefighters had to use a tanker truck to bring water to the home.

Mulvey's death was not the only woodstove-related loss in the state last year. A Warwick woman and four of her five children died in a woodstove fire last March.


Trending