Only on 10: Woman speaks out after drunk driver crashes into her home

A Somerset man is facing OUI charges after he allegedly launched his vehicle airborne and into a house.

“Like a Matrix movie. Like the Matrix. It was crazy. I couldn’t believe it,” homeowner Karen Campos exclusively told NBC 10 News.

Police said 36-year-old Eric Arsenault smashed his Infiniti into a home on Pleasant Street around 8:30 Tuesday night.

Officials and witnesses said the crash was dramatic and violent.

The vehicle allegedly took off over a snow bank, partially landed on the top of a neighbor's vehicle, and smashed through a picket fence, before hitting the home, and ultimately coming to rest in the front yard.

Witnesses said the car rolled over multiple times in the process.

“A mess. It was a mess. I was just worried about my dogs," Campos said through tears.

Police said Arsenault suffered lacerations to his head, but that his injuries were non-life threatening.

No one else was injured, and no one was inside the home at the time of the crash.

Police told NBC 10 Arsenault was involved in a separate hit-and-run with another vehicle, and was being followed by a witness of that incident, at the time of the crash.

They said the crash could have been much worse.

“Especially if there was somebody in the vehicle he hit because he landed on top of the vehicle and then rolled off of it," said Somerset Police Chief George McNeil.

NBC 10 also obtained home video surveillance of the crash, which appears to show the car destroying two pillars beside the home's front door, amidst a plume of snow.

McNeil wouldn't speculate on how fast a car was traveling, but said road conditions were not a factor in the crash.

"I can’t give you an estimate, other than what the witnesses said. Obviously, if he went airborne, he was moving," he said.

McNeil said Arsenault is facing charges of OUI (alcohol), leaving scene of an accident with property damage, negligent operation, and marked lanes violations.

McNeil was unaware if the driver had a prior record, adding that he had not been booked because the suspect was immediately taken to Rhode Island Hospital.

Meanwhile, Campos said she and her husband followed first responders to the scene, not realizing they were headed to their home. She said the couple was thankfully out, celebrating a Valentine's Day dinner.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off