Infant found unresponsive in Warwick home died from ‘asphyxia due to overlay’
WARWICK, R.I. (WJAR) —
Willow Beeley, a 7-month-old baby girl who was found unresponsive in a Warwick home, died from “asphyxia due to overlay.”
The Rhode Island Department of Health confirmed the information with NBC 10 News on Thursday, nearly three months after Willow’s death.
The Centers for Disease Control notes that asphyxia -- or suffocation -- is caused by the inability to breathe. It defines overlay as “accidental suffocation on a shared sleep surface.”
“The most commonly reported cause of asphyxia in infants is accidental suffocation and strangulation in bed,” the CDC notes.
Willow was rushed to the hospital on Feb. 21 after first responders reported to a house on Airway Road around 7:30 p.m. She was found unresponsive at the scene and transported to Hasbro Children’s Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Her father, Ryan Beeley, was also taken to the hospital for a medical issue, but was alert and talking, police said.