Man accused in Mother's Day stabbing collapses in court

Christine Santurri

Christine Santurri, a 42-year-old woman from East Providence, feared for her safety, maybe even her life, according to a police report she filed about 36 hours before she was stabbed to death in her home.

Santurri went to the East Providence police station Friday night to report her ex-boyfriend Yuland Stanfield had violated a restraining order.

She said earlier that day he had come to her house and was yelling outside. She didn't answer her door and he went away.

She reported that later he sent her threatening text messages saying,"He was going (to) break my face and that he was on his way to my house."

She said another text read, "If he was going to go to jail, he was going to make it worth it"

East Providence Police Chief Christopher Parella said as soon as his officers determined Stanfield had violated the restraining order, the department sought an arrest warrant for him but had a difficult time finding him.

"He's been in and out of shelters, hasn't really had an address for any long period of time. We involved other agencies to try to find him but were unable to," said Parella.

When asked by NBC 10 News if his department had actively searched for Stanfield, Parella replied, "absolutely."

Police did not arrest Stanfield until after he allegedly killed Santurri in her apartment in East Providence on Mother's Day morning. She was stabbed multiple times.

On Monday, friends came to the apartment building to place flowers, candles and balloons in front of her door as a memorial to Santurri, a mother of three.

"Nobody deserves to be taken away like that, in a brutal, brutal manner, to someone who was respected by everyone and loved by everyone," said Sonya Pacheco, Santurri's friend.

"That man needs to rot in prison, for everything he did, he put that family through. They're going to grow up without a mother," said another friend Joanna Campopiano.

At his arraignment Monday, Stanfield collapsed and sobbed in front of the judge before being led out of the courtroom.

He was being held without bail on charges of first-degree murder and violating a restraining order.

Court records show Santurri had obtained the restraining order against Stanfield in May 2014 and that it was in effect until May 2017.

After his arraignment, the suspect's daughter Quesha Stanfield said, "We're all shocked. All I can say is that I'm sorry for the family, and it's sad that he did that."

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off