Providence police: Officers killed man, 18, in shootout

Markers show the location of shell casings on Canton Street in Providence, Saturday, March 22, 2014.

The Providence police chief said Monday that officers shot and killed an 18-year-old man during a shootout.

Col. Hugh Clements said three of his officers drove up on a gunfight between two groups Saturday night and that shots were fired at the officers.

The officers returned fire, killing 18-year-old Douglas Cooper.

The chief said evidence shows a gun found next to Cooper's body had been fired at the other group and at police.

The chief said members of the department's narcotics unit were in the neighborhood when the shooting started and that the gunfight played out on Canton Street.

Clements says two police officers returned fire, doing what they had to do.

"It's a very high-risk, dangerous situation for the Providence police. They performed admirably in that no police officers were hurt. No police officers were injured and several, several rounds fired," Clements said.

The chief said the officers did identify themselves as police.

The two officers who fired are on administrative duty, as is procedure in police-involved shootings.

No arrests have been made as police look for other suspects.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending