Yield: 16 servings
Butter for greasing pan
1 pound nuts, chopped (walnuts, pine nuts, almonds, or pistachios)
1 (16-ounce) package phyllo dough
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the sauce
1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter bottoms and sides of a 9-by-13-inch square pan.
2. In a bowl, toss nuts with cinnamon. Set aside. Unroll phyllo dough. Cut whole stack in half to fit pan. Cover phyllo with a dampened cloth to keep from drying out as you work. Place two sheets of dough in pan and spread butter thoroughly. Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of nut mixture on top. Top with two more sheets of dough, butter, and nuts. Repeat process until ingredients are all used.
3. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until baklava is golden and crisp.
4. While baklava is baking, prepare the sauce. In a medium pot, add the sugar and water and bring to a boil until sugar has melted. Add the vanilla and honey. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
5. Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce on top. Let cool before slicing.