Easy Dinners: Sesame-crusted salmon
Yield: 4 servings
16 ounces soba noodles
1 pound asparagus
1 pound salmon fillets
2 teaspoons Japanese Seven Spice (Shichimi Togarashi)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
Method of Preparation
1. Follow package instructions for noodles.
2. Slice off the bottom inch of the asparagus spears. Add the asparagus to the noodles for the last two minutes of cooking. Drain and set aside.
3. Remove and discard the skin from the salmon. Cut salmon into three-inch chunks and rub with Japanese Seven Spice seasoning.
4. Heat one tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add the salmon and cook for three minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove the salmon from the skillet.
5. To the same skillet, add another tablespoon of oil and the red onion. Cook four minutes.
6. In a small bowl, combine the lime juice and soy sauce.
7. To the skillet, add the noodles, asparagus, lime-soy sauce mixture, and half the green onions. Cook for one minute.
8. Divide noodles between four bowls and top with the salmon.
9. Garnish with the remaining green onions.
Chef's note: One pound of asparagus contains 12-15 spears that typically measure 9-10 inches long and one-half to three-quarters inch thick. One pound serves 2-4 people.