Fueling Your Fitness: Rainbow chard and mushroom frittata with pesto
Yield: 4 servings
For the Swiss chard pesto:
Greens from one large bunch Swiss chard, stems removed and reserved
8 ounces fresh Parmesan cheese, coarsely chopped
3 ounces pine nuts (about 2/3 cup)
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
5 garlic cloves
Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
For the frittata:
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
Swiss chard stems, roughly chopped
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. For the pesto: In a food processor, combine greens (not stems), cheese, pine nuts, oil, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Process on high speed, scraping the sides occasionally, until smooth and blended. Adjust seasoning if needed.
3. For the frittata: In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cheese, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Set aside.
4. In a large cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until soft and translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
5. Add mushrooms and Swiss chard stems. Cook until tender and mushrooms are beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
6. Add egg mixture to skillet. Cook until frittata begins to set and get brown around the edges, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to the oven and cook until eggs are set, about 10-12 minutes.
7. Let cool slightly, cut into wedges and serve with preferred amount of Swiss chard pesto. Remaining pesto and be placed into a plastic storage container, with plastic wrap placed on-to surface of against surface of pesto to prevent discoloration. Seal with cover, and freeze.