Fueling Your Fitness: Za'atar spice grilled chicken kabobs over Greek tomato salad
Yield: 4 servings
For the Greek tomato salad:
3 heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 medium cucumber, coarsely chopped
1/2 red onion, sliced
3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
3 tablespoons olives, drained and finely chopped
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
For the za’atar chicken kabobs
1/4 cup sumac
2 tablespoons dried thyme
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons dried marjoram
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
1 teaspoon salt
4 (4-ounce) chicken breasts, cut into one-inch cubes
Olive oil, for brushing
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat grill to high heat.
2. For the salad: In a large bowl, toss tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta, and olives. In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, oregano, salt, and pepper. Pour over salad and toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. To make the za'atar blend, place sumac, thyme, oregano, marjoram, sesame seeds and salt into a spice grinder. Pulse until combined.
4. Place chicken in a bowl and toss with desired amount of za’atar. Place chicken pieces onto soaked wooden skewers or metal skewers. Grill chicken, turning occasionally, until an internal temperature of 165 degrees is reached
5. Serve chicken kabobs over Greek tomato salad.