Graduating Student Week: Summer quinoa salad
Yield: 6-8 servings
2 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup oil, divided
1/2 cup red onion, medium dice
2 cups corn kernels
3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup edamame
1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest
2 tablespoons lime juice
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups arugula
Method of Preparation
1. In a medium saucepan, bring two cups of stock to a boil. Add quinoa, turn heat to low, and cook until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 20-25 minutes. Remove quinoa and reserve in a large bowl
2. In a medium skillet, heat 1/4 cup of oil, add onions and corn. Cook until onions are translucent and corn has started to brown, stirring occasionally.
3. In a bowl combine, cherry tomatoes, black beans and edamame. Add cooked onions and corn.
4. For vinaigrette, combine limes zest, lime juice, remaining 1/4 cup of oil, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour over quinoa mixture while it is still warm.
5. Fold in arugula into quinoa right before serving to avoid wilting.
Chef’s Note: Use fresh corn kernels cut off the cob in the summer.