Yield: 4-6 servings
1 pound ground lamb
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
1/2 yellow onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 garlic clove, sliced
3 ounces slab bacon (or 5 slices sliced bacon), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Pocketless pita bread
Tomato, coarsely chopped
Yellow onion, thinly sliced
Method of Preparation
1. In a medium bowl, combine ground lamb, salt, pepper and oregano leaves with your hands, mixing until all of seasonings have been evenly distributed. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
3. Place lamb mixture in a food processor. Add onion, garlic and bacon. Process until smooth for 30 seconds to 1 minute, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
4. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. With moistened hands, shape lamb mixture into a rectangle about 8-inches long and 5-inches wide. Bake until center of loaf reaches 155 degrees, about 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
5. Adjust oven rack to highest position (1½-2 inches below broiler element) and preheat broiler. Slice loaf of lamb crosswise into very thin pieces (they should be about ?-inch thick; no more than ¼-inch thick). Lay strips on baking sheet and broil until edges are browned and crispy, 2-4 minutes.
Be sure to keep an eye on it, as the broiler works quickly.
6. Warm up pita either in the microwave, on the stovetop, or in the oven. Top each with a quarter cup of tzatziki sauce, chopped tomatoes, sliced onions and ground lamb.