Plenty of Potatoes: Homemade tater tots
Yield: 6 servings
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and scrubbed
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon thyme
Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
Method of Preparation
1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by 1-inch. Bring to a boil and cook until parboiled, about 6-7 minutes; drain well and let cool.
2. Using a box grater, finely shred potatoes. Using a clean dish towel or cheese cloth, drain potatoes completely, removing as much water as possible.
3. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Stir in flour, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and thyme; season with salt and pepper to taste. The mixture should be workable but dry. Form potatoes into tots.
4. Heat vegetable oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
5. Add tots to the skillet, 5 or 6 at a time, and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
6. Garnish with chopped parsley.