Sunday Brunch: Spring Vegetable Galette
Red Pepper and Baked Egg Galettes
Yield: serves 4
4 tbsp. olive oil
1 large Red Pepper sliced into ¼” strips
1 red onion sliced julienne
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and sliced into 1’ pieces
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten, for brushing the pastry
12 tbsp. ricotta
4 large fresh eggs
salt and fresh cracked pepper
Set oven to 400:
1. In a large skillet heat the oil and add the peppers, onions and asparagus and sauté for 4-5 min do not over cook them.
2. Turn the oven up to 400. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface until it reaches a 12x12 inch square. Cut into four 6-inch squares. Transfer to two parchment or silpat lined baking sheets.
3. Take a dull knife and score a little 1/4-inch frame around each square of pastry. Don't cut all the way through. Prick the inside of the squares all over with the tines of a fork. Put back in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Remove the pastry from the fridge and brush all over with a beaten egg. Spread the inside of each square with 3 tsp. of the ricotta
5. Top each with some of the veggie mixture, spread it out evenly, leaving the borders free, and leaving a shallow depression in the center for the egg, which will go in later.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes until rising and starting to brown.
7. Remove and carefully crack in egg into the center of each galette.
8. Put back into the oven for about 10 minutes until the egg is set.
9. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and remaining herbs. Drizzle with some good olive oil and eat right away.