Sunday Brunch: Welsh Rarebit with Bacon
Welsh Rarebit with bacon
4 slices of good, sturdy bread. sliced ½” thick
1 1/2 cups of grated cheddar cheese use Narragansett Creamery is excellent
1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
A little ground black pepper
6 slices of bacon cooked crisp and coarsely chopped
3 tbsp. heavy cream
1. Place the bread on a sheet pan and lightly brown on one side under the broiler or toaster oven.
2. In a large bowl, add the cheese, mustard powder Worcestershire sauce pepper and add the cream. Gently mix.
3. Place the cheese in the top of the bread and top this with the bacon.
4. Place on a sheet pan into a 450-preheated oven for 4-5 min or until the cheese melts like a sauce.
5. Remove from the oven and plate scraping and melted cheese that might have fallen off on to the pan. Serve at once.
Note: This is excellent with some plain buttered boiled potatoes.