Search for missing kayaker in Warwick water continues

A massive search was underway Friday, Jan. 12, 2018, for a missing kayaker on the Providence River. (WJAR)

The search for a missing kayaker was underway on the Providence River Friday night.

The Coast Guard told NBC 10 News that they responded to a call about 46-year-old Michael Perry, of Warwick, shortly before 5 p.m.

"We had one of our units launch right on the Cranston/Warwick line and we had a crew as well search in the bay," said Warwick Fire Department Chief James McLaughlin. "Conditions are very treacherous and shortly thereafter that launch we asked those vehicles to go back due to the weather conditions."

Authorities said Perry launched from Conimicut Point in Warwick on a 10-foot orange kayak around noon.

When he did not return as planned, his wife notified 911 and gave them his intended route and schedule.

It is unknown if Perry, who was expected to be out on the water for an hour, was wearing a life jacket.

Search and rescue crews battled strong winds, heavy rain, dense fog and low visibility on the water. As of 8 p.m., the Coast Guard said the water temperature was 31 degrees, with air temperatures at 51 and waves of up to seven feet.

"Obviously, these are not conditions that are favorable for those activities for sure," said McLaughlin.

A Coast Guard 45-foot rescue boat crew from Station Castle Hill, and a 49-foot boat crew from Aids to Navigation Team Bristol launched shortly after notification. The Providence Police Department was also participating in the search.

"We did have communities on the East Side of the Bay conduct shoreline searches throughout all of these communities," McLaughlin said. "It's simply too treacherous for the size vessel we have now, but the Coast Guard is keeping that search."

Officials said crews will search as long as they need to.

"The family is fine. We have a support personnel inside and we’re making them as comfortable as possible," McLaughlin said.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off