FALL RIVER, Mass. (WJAR) -- Three cats were killed and several residents were displaced by a fire at an apartment building in Fall River Friday night.
NBC 10 News arrived at the Mount Apartments on Middle Street around 7:30 p.m.
Video shows smoke pouring from a portion of the roof as firefighters battled flames.
District Fire Chief Michael Clark said a dropped cigarette started the fire.
“The report was that the woman had been smoking on her bed, dropped a cigarette, tried to put it out with a pan of water, and it just spread and she ended up running out of the apartment,” Clark said.
He said the fire damaged two attic apartments and a hallway, but added that no one was hurt.
But three cats died in the fire, while four adults and three children have been displaced.
Domingos Camara lives in the building. He was out and got a call that the building was on fire.
Camara said he immediately thought of the devastating New Year’s Day fire at Four Winds Apartments, which claimed the lives of two people and 80 residents lost their homes.
“It’s not my end of the building. You feel for the people over here,” Camara said. “After the big fire at the beginning of the year, it’s the last thing you want to hear.”
Clark said the building is old. It was a former convent and the old Bishop Gerard High School.
“There’s a lot of void spaces, places where the fire can travel, so the crews really opened up a lot of areas up there to make sure it didn’t extend beyond the area of the fire arching,” he said.
Red Cross was at the scene helping residents who have been affected.
The chief said he doesn’t know just yet how many people lived in the two apartments or how soon everyone else will be allowed to return.