Fall River officer exposed to carbon monoxide in cruiser
A Fall River police officer was taken to a hospital after being exposed to carbon monoxide in his cruiser.
The incident happened at about 2 p.m. on Sept. 6.
The department said the officer, who was transported to Charlton Memorial Hospital, was exposed to the colorless and odorless gas while driving a department-issued 2015 Ford Explorer.
The officer's name was not released.
There was a carbon monoxide detector installed in the cruiser, but the department said it didn't go off and that it's is looking into the reason why.
The Fall River Police Department is also investigating if the maintenance or repair work required by the Ford Motor Company had been performed and, if not, why the cruiser was in service.
Last year, an officer in Auburn, Massachusetts, was also exposed to carbon monoxide. He passed out behind the wheel and crashed his 2017 Ford Police Interceptor, a modified version of the Ford Explorer.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has been investigating the problem.
A Ford spokesman told NBC 10 News that the carbon monoxide concerns in the Ford Police Interceptor are related to unsealed holes that happened when a third party installed police equipment, after the vehicle was purchased.
Ford is offering to repair the problem, for free. A spokesman said the company will contact Fall River police to help investigate what happened.