Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes ofwebsite accessibility
Close Alert

Fire destroys a sober home in North Attleborough

Fire destroyed a home on North Washington Street in North Attleborough, Wednesday, June 3, 2020. (WJAR){p}{/p}
Fire destroyed a home on North Washington Street in North Attleborough, Wednesday, June 3, 2020. (WJAR)

Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon

A house used as a sober home in North Attleboro was destroyed in a fire Wednesday morning.

The town’s deputy fire chief says the cause is still under investigation but at this point, it appears to be accidental.

The home on North Washington Street and the one next to it are owned by the same recovery organization that some credit for saving their lives.

“This place gave me the life I have today. If it wasn’t for the Association for Sober Living I would be dead today. I’d be dead. No doubt in my mind,” said Michael Collins, a former sober house manager.

Association for Sober Living operated a sober house at the location.

It also operates one in the house next to it on the right that wasn’t damaged.

An unaffiliated neighbor’s house on the left was damaged, but it’s fixable.

The fire started at around 3:30 Wednesday morning.

“It took us about an hour to get the bulk of the fire knocked down. There was very heavy fire in the main building and we required lots of mutha aid from surrounding communities,” said Chief Christopher Coleman with the North Attleborough Fire Department.

Michael Collins says he’s remained incredibly close with everyone here ever since he got sober and moved out years ago.

No one is hurt, but Collins says 9 residents are basically left with just the clothes on their backs.

“It’s very, very, sad that these guys who are battling to get their lives back on track have lost everything they have left,” said Collins.

Collins says the men who lived here are being relocated to other places where they’ll get the physical and emotional help they need.

“My cell phone has not stopped ringing from probably about 7 o’clock this morning from people who just want to help and that’s very moving,” he said.

Another former resident we spoke with off camera says a dog also made it out safe.

Loading ...