Man banned from Gillette Stadium for throwing beer at Chiefs player during Pats game

Gillette Stadium

A 21-year-old Mansfield man is facing charges for allegedly throwing beer at a Kansas City Chief’s player at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough during Sunday’s game versus the New England Patriots, according to authorities.

Police said they obtained security footage of the man throwing beer at wide receiver Tyreek Hill after he made a 75-yard catch and touchdown late in the fourth quarter. Surrounding fans also gave Hill the middle finger.

The Patriots released a statement about the incident.

“Gillette Stadium security has identified the fan who violated the fan code of conduct by tossing beer onto a player during the game last night,” the statement noted. “The matter has been turned over to local law enforcement and the fan will be sent a letter of disinvite to all future events at Gillette Stadium.”

Players reacted to the news, including Patriots star Rob Gronkowski.

“Us players are out there competing, trying to be the best we can be out there, so, that’s a little bit too much I would say,” Gronk said.

Matthew Slater shared similar sentiments.

“We appreciate you being rowdy and we appreciate your support, but there’s a line that you should and should not cross and obviously throwing beer on someone is not acceptable,” Slater said.

Many fans agree.

“Throwing beers in someone’s face -- that’s unacceptable,” said Paul Oginski, while John Murtagh added, “It’s not really what New England fans are about.”

David Bressler, another fan, was at the game.

“It’s not the best look for Pats fans,” he said.

But Bressler said he thinks a disinvite is too harsh.

“I don’t know if the punishment is fit for a lifetime ban,” he said.

Oginski disagrees.

“I thought he should be out,” he said. “Even though I’m a Pats fan, and he was, he should still be out.”

The man has summoned into Wrentham District Court at a later date to face multiple charges, including disorderly conduct and throwing an object at a sporting event.

The man’s identity wasn’t immediately known to the public.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off