Man accused of stealing rescue from Rhode Island Hospital

Providence Rescue No. 6, reported stolen from Rhode Island Hospital, is driven back to Providence. (WJAR)

A man who allegedly stole a Providence fire rescue is facing charges in both Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

Police say Johnny Kimbrough, 36, stole the rescue outside of Rhode Island Hospital when it was left running as fire personnel delivered a patient to the hospital’s triage.

Kimbrough allegedly drove down I-95 South before eventually being captured in Connecticut.

West Greenwich police say their officers picked up Kimbrough’s trail when he was driving through their town and followed him into Connecticut where he was stopped near exit 92.

"As we approached that town line, the state troopers from Conencticut got in front of the vehicle, we stayed behind and as CT state police began to slow their trooper vehicles down so did the suspect rescue slow down," said West Greenwich Police Chief Richard Ramsay.

A Rhode Island Hospital spokesperson says Kimbrough was not a patient; that surveillance video shows him coming from the street and jumping into the rescue.

According to a police report obtained by NBC10, “Rhode Island Hospital Security observed a male subject enter the rescue #6 and drive away in it.”

The report goes on to say hospital surveillance video showed a male subject “wearing a black jacket with grey sweatshirt underneath and blue jeans, walk through the parking lot and into the driver’s seat of Rescue #6 as it was parked running near the triage area.”

"Typically because they're in and out of the emergency department, they'll leave the vehicle running, we just can't have vehicles like that unattended and running," said Providence Public Safety Commissioner Steven Pare.

"I'm looking to see why it happened, and prevent it from happening again in the future this is a practice that's been going on they leave the rescues running and it's unsafe," he added.

Pare said the rescues are equipped with GPS so authorities were constantly aware of its location and speed, which did not go much above the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

"Thankfully we have the rescue back, doesn't appear to be any damage, no one was hurt and we've wrapped it up with an arrest,” said Providence Police Major David Lapatin.

Kimbrough, who requested medical treatment and was brought to the hospital after his arrest in North Stonington, is facing a charge of possession of a stolen vehicle in Connecticut, as well as charges of operating on a suspended license and eluding police in West Greenwich. He will also face charges for the stolen ambulance in Providence.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off