Thousands still without power in Southern New England
Thousands of people were without power Thursday after the second nor'easter in a week hit Southern New England.
For many, the storm knocked their power out for the second time, as well.
“Last week, we lost power and we were out for four and a half, almost five days, and we got power back for 30-something hours and we’re out again,” said Jason Hawes of West Greenwich.
Hawes and his family also lost power back in October when heavy winds came through and blew down utility lines across the region. He said something needs to be done.
“We’ve been definitely dealing with no power more than we’ve been dealing with power," he said. "It’s tough, especially during this time of year when you need power the most out in this area. You need to survive New England winters.”
Hawes said he wonders why National Grid won’t look into burying power lines to protect them from the elements. In his travels, he has seen the method work.
“I’ve worked in Colorado where we’ve had 30-some odd inches and 70 to 80 mile-an-hour winds and the power never flickered," he said. "You’re asking for a price hike but you’re not fixing anything, you’re not investing in anything in the future.”