Three Bristol County men are accused of driving to Rhode Island to play golf, a violation of Gov. Gina Raimondo's executive order, which mandates all out-of-state visitors coming to Rhode Island for a non-work-related matter must self-quarantine for 14 days.
Richmond Police Chief Elwood Johnson told NBC 10 News the three men parked their cars at a nearby McDonald's, then got a ride to Meadow Brook Golf Course from a Rhode Islander, who is allowed to play on the course, per the governor's rules.
"Not too far away you have health care workers that are falling ill and dying trying to keep the rest of us alive and here you have people taking advantage of the system just to beat it and play golf," Johnson told NBC 10 Thursday. "It certainly deserved to be charged. It was clear they had circumvented the quarantine to get to the golf course by way of a Rhode Island vehicle and play in violation of the quarantine order."
Police said Gregory Corbett, 51, of Attleboro, Tyler Pietrzyk, 22, of Taunton, and Nye Cameron, 22, of Taunton, were charged with a petty misdemeanor.
Authorities said they played a round of golf at Meadow Brook and then went back to their cars parked at McDonald's.
Johnson said employees at McDonald's notified police after seeing the men with Massachusetts license plates move golf gear to another car with Rhode Island license plates.
"The officers observed this same Rhode Island vehicle return approximately five hours after the cars had been left and saw three men get out and remove golf clubs from that vehicle," Johnson said. "They approached the men, spoke to them, identified them."
The police chief said the department received several calls from concerned citizens on Saturday about a "dramatic" increase in out-of-state residents visiting Richmond golf courses, following a measure by Gov. Charlie Baker to close Massachusetts golf courses last week.
Johnson said Meadow Brook posted signs reminding golfers that only Rhode Island residents were allowed to play.
Now, the chief said public golf courses in Richmond are requiring golfers to present valid identification verifying they live in Rhode Island.
"It's not the most heinous offense, but the reality is that we're living in a whole different world this month and it's important we all follow the rules to keep one anther safe," Johnson said.
The three men were released at the scene with a District Court summons to appear for arraignment on the violation on May 14.