Warwick City Park murder remains unsolved 5 years later, $25K reward offered

Jack Fay (Submitted photo)

Five years have passed since the body of a 66-year-old retired postal worker and Vietnam veteran was found at Warwick City Park.

Police said a jogger discovered Jack Fay in a trash barrel along a walking path near a softball field on May 17, 2013.

But even though a suspect left DNA at the scene, who killed him -- and why -- remain a mystery. His loved ones continue to hope for closure and are offering a $25,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest and conviction.

“This person has had five more birthdays and five more Christmases than my father had -- and five more than we’ve had with him,” Meaghan Fay, who is Fay’s daughter, told NBC 10 News. “It doesn’t change what happened at all, but it would still be nice to get justice for what happened because we haven’t had that yet.”

Police said Fay was attacked and killed around 4:25 a.m. during his daily run.

Authorities believe the Army veteran and Purple Heart recipient was murdered not far from where his body was found. The cause of death was blunt force trauma and sharp force trauma, according to police.

“His only mistake was that he was out too early,” Meaghan said. “He said it was peaceful…and I didn’t think that he was in any kind of jeopardy.”

Fay’s brother, Gerry, agreed. He said the crime “doesn’t make sense” and he is ready for answers.

“A guy goes out jogging in the morning and somebody kills him? It would be nice to get some closure on it. There’s just this feeling that there’s no answer, no resolution,” Gerry said. “You’d like to have some understanding for how something like this happens. Every time I think of my brother, I think about the end of his life and it makes no sense. It’s just sad.”

Meaghan added that she doesn’t believe her father was targeted. She said she wonders if it was a robbery gone wrong.

“Maybe they thought he had something of value on him and they jumped him,” she said. “He was a good guy. He was a family man. He kept to himself. He really didn’t deserve this. I really do believe he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I know with no doubt that he didn’t do anything to instigate this.”

As she has said in previous interviews with NBC 10, Meaghan still thinks more than one person was involved in the murder.

“The way that he was moved and the way that he was hidden -- I don’t see how one person could do that alone,” Meaghan said. “He was 6 feet 3 (inches tall) and 230 to 240 pounds. He was a solid guy. My whole life, he was a big man. He wasn’t a small guy, so I don’t see someone being able to lift his body and put it in (the barrel) the way that they did without anyone seeing him. There had to have been two people.”

While authorities in 2016 released a computer-generated composite profile using a DNA sample an “unknown male” suspect left at the scene, Meaghan said they haven’t gotten the results they have been eager for.

“We had a lot more hope in the beginning that the DNA was going to be useful, but unless they’ve committed a crime and they’re in the criminal data base, you’re not going to find them,” she said. “It’s kind of a hard lesson. This is how it happens in real life, not crime shows. It’s not like CSI, that’s for sure.”

Police said the case “is still being aggressively investigated” and they continue to follow leads as they are reported.

"Don't assume that the information you have -- if you have any information -- is irrelevant or minor because with the active investigation on the scientific side, and the interviews that continue, we need that list bit of the puzzle," Maj. Rick Rathbun said, adding that the case is examined weekly.

Meanwhile, Fay’s loved ones are hoping for a resolution as soon as possible.

“We still don’t know exactly what happened to him,” Meaghan said. “We don’t know how he was killed, but I trust that the police are doing the best that they can with the information that they have.”

If anyone has any information about the case, contact Detective Sgt. Mark Canning at 401-468-4236 or Detective John McHale at 401-468-4267.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off