WAKEFIELD, R.I. (WJAR) — The South Kingstown School Committee on Monday accepted the resignation of Superintendent Linda Savastano.
The committee voted unanimously to approve the separation agreement, which pays Savastano the remainder of her more than $163,000 salary through the end of the calendar year, plus vacation and sick time and buyback benefits.
The total payout is subject to change depending on her employment prior to the end of the year.
Savastano came under fire this spring when she admitted to giving out private student information in April. The school district directory was used to send political mailers directly to students in support of the $85 million bond vote, which later failed. Savastano apologized on the district's Facebook page earlier this month.
Several teachers and parents spoke out in support of Savastano during Monday's school committee meeting.
"I'm deeply hoping there is still a chance that we are not separating from Linda because I'm afraid if we lose her, we're not going to find somebody who can even compare," South Kingstown High School Spanish teacher and parent Maddalena Cirignotta said.
Joseph Daley, a parent, called Savastano "the best we can get."
"She does need to be accountable for what's happened, but I think this is a major, major loss for our district," Daley said.
Savastano joined the district in 2019. Her original contract ended June 30, 2022.
Prior to joining South Kingstown, Savastano was a former teacher and administrator in Middletown.
In a statement, Savastano said she was proud of the district’s accomplishments.
"The South Kingstown School District has seen continuous improvement over the past two years and I am proud of all that we have accomplished together, including our commitment to inclusiveness and equity, while keeping our students and staff safe and engaged in face-to-face learning during the pandemic," Savastano wrote.
She also thanked her colleagues for support.
"I am grateful for the support that I have received from so many teachers, staff, parents, administrators, and community members during my tenure," Savastano wrote. "I know that this is the best decision for all involved and I wish everyone success in the future."
Calls for Savastano's resignation poured in at the same time parents expressed outrage over the mailers being addressed to children.
State lawmakers also took issue and passed a bill banning the sharing listservs for political or non-educational purposes. The bill now heads to Gov. Dan McKee's desk.
The school committee named Ginamarie Masiello as the temporary head of schools, until an interim superintendent is hired.
Masiello is currently the Director of Curriculum, Learning, and Innovation.
At the school committee meeting, chair Paula Whitford read a statement which directed all questions to her but refused to talk to NBC 10 I-Team Education Advocate Ashley Cullinane on camera.
"The committee will work to secure new leadership in the near future to move our important mission forward," the prepared statement read.
The school committee also approved the hiring of a temporary employee to help respond to more than 200 public records requests regarding the district’s race and gender curriculum.